Follow me on Twitter

Monday 28 April 2008

Mammograms!

Let me get straight to the point!.......When you reach a certain age here in the UK you receive an invitation to go for a mammogram, which is brilliant.

However, when I received my invitation I wasn't sure whether or not it was something I wanted to accept. Why not?

Well, let me tell you why...

Last week I read an article in a book about alternatives to HRT. The book is written by a UK doctor. It said having mammograms increases the risk of cancer because the 'powerful X-ray' can trigger/cause breast cancer. This is one hell of a statement. So it was a dilemma for me to make a decision as to whether or not to have a mammogram as my mother and cousin both died from breast cancer. What was I to do?

My GP was totally understanding. She rang me last Friday, and we had a long discussion during which she urged me to go and have the mammogram.

After due consideration...I went - this morning.

But I did not go empty handed. I actually took my book along with me and showed it to the radiographers who just about hit the roof when they read the piece. They too were understanding and took the time to explain that a mammogram involves only a tiny dose of radiation - they are not regarded as powerful as stated in the book - so the risk to your health is, in fact, small.
Following an interesting, and enlightening conversation, I went ahead with the mammogram.

The book is very negative about mammograms (but I think it's nutrition advice is good) and it would have been very easy for me to cancel the appointment. So the moral of this story is...if you have any doubts talk to your GP before you rush out and cancel your appointment.

For obvious reasons there are no pics or video of this procedure ;-)
But it didn't hurt a bit.

No comments: